We are thrilled that you are interested in applying to the UNC Asheville-UNC Gillings Master of Public Health (MPH) Program. You can expect the application process to take approximately 6 to 10 weeks, which
includes the time needed for document collection, submission, and application review. As such, it is
best to apply as early as possible for the next fall cohort. Our student manager can support you
through the application process and answer any questions you may have.
At this time, our joint MPH program located in Asheville cannot provide sponsorship for F-1 student visas. International students who have or are eligible for other visa types that allow them to study in the U.S. are welcome to apply. Please contact us with any questions.
When applying to our program, you will start by creating an account with SOPHAS, the centralized
online application portal for public health programs. You can start that
process by clicking here.
- Once in SOPHAS, click "add program" and do a quick search for "Gillings," the institution that manages our application process, then locate
"Place-Based Health, Asheville Campus." Click the + sign next to Place-Based Health. Then, click
continue to my application."
- After you have been redirected to the application portal, you will note there are several
sections to complete, including personal Information, academic history, etc.
Note: The Gillings School does not require you to submit GRE scores in order to submit your application.
SOPHAS will ask for the following materials to complete your application:
- Transcripts: You will be required to submit official copies of all
post-secondary education transcripts. This includes any study abroad programs where you attended
an international university or college.
- Recommendations. SOPHAS requires three letters of recommendation, which should
be written by individuals who can attest to your ability to complete graduate public health
training. If you have received an academic degree within the past 5 years, at least one letter
should be written by a professional from this institution.
- Statement of Purpose. As outlined on the UNC Graduate
School website, your statement should not exceed 1,500 words and should answer the following
- Why are you interested in pursuing an MPH degree, and how will this
prepare you for your career?
- How have your previous work and volunteer experiences led you to apply for the MPH?
- Racism has been identified as a public health crisis by the American Public Health
Association. How do you plan to be actively antiracist and use your public health
training to interrupt systems of oppression, discrimination, and abuse that exist where
you study, live, and work?
- UNC Graduate School Supplemental Application. You will be required to finish a
UNC Graduate School supplemental application, which you will receive once you finish your SOPHAS
Note: You will need to submit unofficial transcripts with your supplemental application, so be sure to collect these as you order your official transcripts.
If you would like a complete list of these requirements and a visual map for the ideal timeline to
complete your application, please
fill out this request for more information.
If you have any questions about applying to the UNC Asheville-UNC Gillings MPH Program, please contact Student Services Director Shaneka Haynes at email@example.com.
University of North Carolina Asheville and UNC Chapel Hill are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the MPH degree. The UNC Asheville-UNC Gillings MPH Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).