Thank you for your interest in the MAHEC 4th year medical student electives program. MAHEC also
offers a variety of student rotations in family medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, general
surgery, and psychiatry for both in-state and out-of-state students interested in our residency
programs. Are you planning to practice in rural medicine? If yes, then come learn more about our
rural family medicine residency programs in Hendersonville and Boone during a 4th-year family medicine
elective rotation. You can explore each program in more detail using the links above.
Our rotations are only available to students planning to specialize family medicine, ob/gyn, general
surgery, and psychiatry who will be applying to our residency programs.
Housing is available through MAHEC,
contingent on availability, at a modest cost after confirmation of rotation. Once you've been
approved for a rotation, you are encouraged to apply early as space is limited. Students
should apply by going to myahec.net.
Due to limited capacity, MAHEC electives are only offered to students enrolled in LCME- and COCA-accredited United States medical schools. Please note that a car is required for these rotations.
Step 1: Apply for elective using the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities
- Apply at https://vslo.aamc.org/vslo/index.html#/public/
find-electives beginning in January; MAHEC follows the timelines of UNC Chapel
- Scheduling Cycle: May 2 to May 31
- Notification Cycle: June 1 to June 8
- The host institution for MAHEC is UNC Chapel Hill.
- Elective rotation numbers:
- Acute Care Surgery Acting Internship - SURY 439
- Critical Care Surgery - SURY 426 4
- Acting Intern in Inpatient Family Medicine - Asheville FMME 421
- Acting Intern in Inpatient Family Medicine - Hendersonville FMME 458
- Combined Asheville and Hendersonville Outpatient Experience - FMME 457
- Acting Intern in Ob/Gyn - OBGN 411 2
- SURY 486 2 Acting Intern in Hepatobiliary and Surgical Oncology
- FMME 461 Rural Inpatient and Outpatient Family Medicine, Boone, NC
- Complete application process as instructed and provide all required documents (Letter of Good
Standing, Immunizations, CV, Transcript, Evaluation Form, USMLE/COMLEX Scores, Personal
- The Visiting Student Coordinator with UNC Chapel Hill will confirm receipt of application.
- Applications will be reviewed for consideration by program for acceptance. Space is limited.
- Once you have completed and submitted all required documents and you have been approved and
cleared, you will receive an acceptance email by Chapel Hill and MAHEC.
Step 2: Completing Onboarding Process for MAHEC
An affiliate agreement with your school is required before you can start your
- 60 days prior to the start of your rotation, submit the following:
- MAHEC application, confidentiality statement, background check forms
- Letter of good standing from school including verification of BBP and HIPAA
- Current flu vaccination
- 9-panel drug test to include: marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamines, benzodiazepines,
PCP-phencyclidine, opiates, methadone, barbiturates, and propoxyphene
- Current PPD
- Current certificate of insurance (professional liability)
- School student evaluation form
- COVID-19 vaccination card
- Additional documents as required by Mission, Pardee and Watauga Hospitals
Please note: Students who will be working in one of our hospitals will be required to complete a
separate onboarding process with Mission Hospital, Pardee Hospital and/or Watauga Hospital. The onboarding process with
these hospitals must be completed at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of your rotation.