At MAHEC we are passionate about excellence in healthcare. For 40 years we have provided high quality, compassionate healthcare as a foundation for training top physicians and health professionals.
MAHEC was established in 1974 and is a leader in healthcare, education and innovation.
Located in Asheville, MAHEC serves a 16-county region in Western North Carolina. We are the largest Area Health Education Center in North Carolina, which evolved to address national and state concerns with the supply, retention and quality of health professionals.
MAHEC IS YOUR DOCTOR.
Primary, Ob-Gyn and Dental Healthcare:
Our vision is for quality, compassionate healthcare for the people of WNC. We provide a full spectrum of healthcare services including primary care, behavioral medicine, pharmacotherapy, labor and delivery, dental health, and internal medicine.
- Family Health Centers in Asheville, Lake Lure, Cane Creek, Enka/Cander, Woodfin and Hendersonville
- Ob-Gyn care includes maternal fetal medicine specialists and reproductive endocrinology experts
- Dental services for the entire family
- Geriatric healthcare at Deerfield Retirement Community and Givens Estates
MAHEC IS YOUR TEACHER.
Medical and Dental Residencies:
At MAHEC we train future physicians to provide excellent, compassionate healthcare in WNC. Our faculty are appointed by UNC Chapel Hill, set a high standard of excellence and are dedicated as visionaries, mentors and caring physicians.
- MAHEC is creating the next generation of family doctors and dentists for WNC
- Residency training in: family medicine, ob-gyn, dental care, geriatrics, hospice and palliative care
- Over 400 physicians and dentists have graduated from MAHEC
- 60% of our family medicine graduates stay and practice in WNC
MAHEC specializes in continuing education programs, at the regional and national level, for health professionals in medicine, nursing, mental health, pharmacy, dental and allied health.
- 23,000+ healthcare professionals received training and education last year
- Healthcare professionals representing 26 states attended MAHEC conferences
- 900+ continuing education programs offered
MAHEC provides learning opportunities for students pursuing health professions.
- K-12 programs in Health Careers and Minority Mentoring
- Summer internships and clinical rotations for students
- UNC School of Medicine, Asheville – collaborative curriculum development, administrative leadership and student services
- UNC School of Pharmacy, Asheville – leadership and clinical rotations
MAHEC IS YOUR ADVOCATE.
Innovation and Information:
MAHEC is committed to the innovation of quality patient-centered care, systems of healthcare delivery, and educational excellence. We are on the cutting edge of evidence based research to improve patient healthcare in WNC and beyond.
- Center for Healthy Aging: initiatives include falls prevention, advanced care planning, oral health, heart disease and stroke prevention
- Center for Quality Improvement: works with primary care practices to improve quality of patient care, office efficiency and implement and optimize electronic health records
- Center for Research: clinical and educational research in quality of care, Triple Aim, graduate medical education, and cost effective models of care
- Library and Knowledge Services provides customized medical research
- Staff, faculty and graduates are key resources to 16 hospitals in WNC