Office of Regional Primary Care Education (ORPCE)
The Office of Regional Primary Care Education (ORPCE) facilitates quality, community-based primary care education for health science students enrolled in NC AHEC-associated programs. Our focus is to further primary care education for physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, and pharmacy students in ambulatory community sites, especially in rural and underserved areas, as well as provide support services for preceptors and associated health science schools.
Western Carolina University Expansion Programs at MAHEC was funded in 2016 to increase the numbers and types of healthcare providers in rural areas and increase preceptor support for these health professions. During the 2018-2019 academic year, MAHEC provided 45 rotations in MAHEC clinics.
Expansion Program Focus Areas
• Athletic Training
• Health Sciences
• Human Resources in Healthcare
• Mental Health Counseling and Master of Social Work
• Nurse Educator & Nurse Leadership
• Nurse Practitioner
ORPCE for Students
- Assist with placements in community sites
- Provide and coordinate student housing
- Facilitate quality educational experiences consistent with curricular goals
ORPCE for Preceptors
- Implement protocols for payments to eligible site
- Link to AHEC information resources
- Represent preceptor concerns to the schools, AHECs, and AHEC Program Office
ORPCE for Health Science Schools
- Assist with identifying and recruiting preceptor sites
- Coordinate placement of students in community-based sites
- Assist with evaluation of community-based education
ORPCE works with the following AHEC-affiliated schools and programs:
Questions: Email Jasmine Phillips or call (828) 407-2599.