Rural General Surgery Residency Program in Asheville, North Carolina
The Mountain Area Health Education Center (MAHEC) Rural General Surgery Residency Program is in collaboration with Mission Hospital. During the five-year residency, residents will complete a number of surgical rotations including rural hospital surgery, wound, breast, burn, acute care surgery, pediatric surgery, trauma surgery, vascular surgery, endocrine surgery, minimally invasive surgery, oncology and colorectal surgery, and hepatobiliary and pancreas surgery.
- Mission Hospital is licensed for 815 beds with 17 operating rooms and a new critical care tower
- Mission Children’s Hospital includes 130 beds with 60 board-certified pediatric subspecialists providing care in 23 different specialties
- ED has 100,000 patient visits per year, the trauma center admits 3,400 patients per year, and the helicopter transports more than 1,000 patients per year
- Faculty includes 12 critical-care-certified acute care surgeons, 11 subspecialty surgeons, 2 pediatric surgeons and 5 vascular surgeons
- At more than 35,000 surgical procedures each year, Mission Hospital is one of the busiest surgical hospitals in the state of North Carolina
Michael Schurr, MD
Jenna Hunter, MEd
The Mountain Area Health Education Center (MAHEC)
Mission Statement - MAHEC’s mission is to train the next generation of healthcare professionals for Western North Carolina through quality healthcare, innovative education, and best practice models that can be replicated nationally.
MAHEC was established in 1974 and serves a 16-county region in Western North Carolina. MAHEC is the largest Area Health Education Center in North Carolina and evolved to address national and state concerns with the supply, retention and quality of healthcare professionals. MAHEC’s approach to caring for patients is based on an advanced care team model. At MAHEC, we have residency training in: family medicine, ob/gyn, psychiatry, clinical pharmacy, dental care, and general surgery.
Mission Health System
Our mission is to improve the health of the people of Western North Carolina and the surrounding region.
Our core values, “MERIT,” are the foundation of our workplace and culture:
- Mercy: We work to create a caring and compassionate environment responsive to the emotional, spiritual and physical needs of all persons.
- Excellence: We strive to meet and exceed our patients’ and consumers’ needs, and work collectively to improve every aspect of our care and services.
- Respect: We value the innate dignity of all persons, respect their uniqueness and diversity, and enable the development of each person’s full potential.
- Integrity: We are consistently open, honest and ethical, and abide by our Corporate Compliance Program and integrity statement to always do the right thing by being honest in our interactions with one another, our patients and our business contacts.
- Trust/Teamwork: We say what we mean and do what we say, and work collectively to improve every aspect of our care and services.
About Mission Health System
Tracing its roots back nearly 120 years and based in Asheville, NC, Mission Health is the tertiary care referral center for the western part of the state and the adjoining region. Mission Health has been recognized as one of the nation’s Top 15 Health Systems by Truven Health Analytics. Mission Health is the only health system in the nation to receive this recognition four years in a row, and the only health system in North Carolina to achieve Top 15 recognition.