We invite you to apply to our program via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We will review your application and contact you if we wish to invite you for an interview. Typically, our interview season runs from mid-October through mid-December. We have 16 interview date options and welcome applicants back for informal second looks.
A complete ERAS application is required, including:
- Curriculum Vita (CV)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty who have directly supervised clinical performance. At least one letter should be from a family physician
- Medical school transcript(s)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- USMLE , COMLEX or Canadian licensing exam scores (Step 1 required, Step 2 CK required before ranking, Step 2 CS preferred)
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The Graduate Medical Education programs will select from among eligible applicants on the basis of residency program-related criteria such as their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities, such as motivation and integrity.
An applicant must meet or exceed the following minimum qualification(s) to be eligible for selection and appointment to MAHEC’s Graduate Medical Education Residency Programs (GME):
- Be a graduate of a medical school in the United States or Canada, accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME); or
- Be a graduate of a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States, accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA); or
- Be a graduate of a non-LCME or AOA approved medical school who also meets one of the following additional qualifications:
- holds a currently-valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates prior to appointment; or,
- holds a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a United States licensing jurisdiction in his or her current ACGME specialty/subspecialty program; or,
- has graduated from a medical school outside the United States and has completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by a LCME-accredited medical school.
- Passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 or COMLEX 1 and 2 within three attempts as required by the North Carolina Medical Board.
- Be eligible for a NC resident training license.
- Be eligible to work in the US (citizen, permanent resident, eligible visa including J1). MAHEC does not sponsor H1B or other visas.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to the Residency Program Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Medical Graduates
Special laws and regulations apply to international medical graduates who wish to enter the United States to undertake graduate medical education. MAHEC's policies and procedures regarding graduates of international medical schools comply with federal and state laws and regulations and MAHEC's commitment to graduate medical education.
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada must have a currently valid certificate from the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Applicants must successfully pass both Step 1 (basic medical) and Step 2 (clinical knowledge and skills) of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).
While MAHEC does not sponsor a visa, the international medical graduate applicant must also possess a current/valid visa option or other status governed by the US Immigration Regulations to participate in a GME program.
Finally, the North Carolina Medical Board requires that physicians who are graduates of schools that are not accredited by the LCME or the AOA (foreign medical schools) must be individually certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, have successfully completed at least three years of accredited graduate medical training, and have passed the USMLE or its equivalent to be eligible for application for full licensure. An international medical graduate must complete all other application requirements required by MAHEC and the GME program.
4th Year Student Rotations
Interested in completing a 4th Year Medical Student Elective with us? Please contact the Director of Student Programs at Lisa.Keiber@mahec.net