How To Apply
We are thrilled that you are interested in applying to the UNC Gillings School’s MPH Program in Asheville. You can expect the application process to take approximately 6 to 10 weeks, which includes the time needed for document collection, submission, and application review. As such, it is best to apply as early as possible for the next fall cohort. Our student manager can support you through the application process and answer any questions you may have.
When applying to our program, you will start by creating an account with SOPHAS, the centralized online application portal for public health programs. You can start that process by clicking here.
- Once in SOPHAS, click add program and do a quick search for “Gillings,” then locate Place-Based Health, Asheville Campus. Click the “+” sign next to Place-Based Health. Then, click “continue to my application.”
- After you have been redirected to the application portal, you will note there are several sections to complete including personal Information, academic history, etc.
Note: Gillings does not require you to submit GRE scores in order to submit your application.
SOPHAS will ask for the following materials to complete your application:
- Transcripts. You will be required to submit official copies of all post-secondary education transcripts. This includes any study abroad programs where you attended an international university or college.
- Recommendations. SOPHAS requires three letters of recommendation, which should be written by individuals who can attest to your ability to complete graduate public health training. If you have received an academic degree within the past 5 years, at least one letter should be written by a professional from this institution.
- Statement of Purpose. As outlined on the UNC Graduate School website, your statement should not exceed 1,500 words and should answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in pursuing a Master of Public Health degree, and how will this prepare you for your career?
- How have your previous work and volunteer experiences led you to apply for the MPH?
- Racism has been identified as a public health crisis by the American Public Health Association. How do you plan to be actively antiracist and use your public health training to interrupt systems of oppression, discrimination, and abuse that exist where you study, live, and work?
- UNC Graduate School Supplemental Application. You will be required to finish a UNC Graduate School supplemental application, which you will receive once you finish your SOPHAS application.
Note: you will need to submit unofficial transcripts with your supplemental application, so be sure to collect these as you order your official transcripts.
If you would like a complete list of these requirements and a visual map for the ideal timeline to complete your application, please fill out this request for more information.
If you have any questions about applying to the UNC Gillings School’s MPH Program in Asheville, please contact Scott Schindler, student manager, at email@example.com or 828-348-3628.