NC AHEC Scholars Program at MAHEC
You can be part of a progressive group committed to community service, health parity, academic excellence, and the transformation of healthcare in Western North Carolina.
The new NC AHEC Scholars Program at MAHEC recruits, trains, and supports a diverse group of college students, creating a multidisciplinary team of future health professionals. With an emphasis on underrepresented minorities, disadvantaged and rural backgrounds, and first-generation college students, the program aims to improve the diversity and distribution of all health professions and to support health systems transformations across the state. Each class of AHEC Scholars at MAHEC represents a variety of health professions and institutions from WNC.
MAHEC is the largest Area Health Education Center (AHEC) in North Carolina, which evolved to address national and state concerns with the supply, retention, and quality of health professionals. This program is a partnership with AHECs across the state, the MedServe Fellowship Program, AmeriCorps VISTA, and other statewide and regional partners.
Completion of the program results in a NC AHEC Scholars certificate, setting you apart from other students in an increasingly competitive environment.
You will also have the chance to meet leaders in healthcare and make connections with other participants, creating an invaluable network for your future career in healthcare.
NC AHEC Scholars Program Experience
September - May each year, beginning 2018-19
- For all health career degree or certificate seeking students in a 2 or 4 year college/university program as well as graduate level students (i.e., pharmacy, physical therapy, medical school, family nurse practitioner, occupational therapy, etc.)
- Co-created and co-taught by faculty and staff from across
- Two-year commitment that provides 40 hours of didactics and 40 hours of clinical work each year
- Stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses
- Experience in community clinical settings
- Develop new skills, experiences, and strategies to improve both access and delivery of healthcare
- Learning opportunities in collaborative care, written and oral communication, cultural competencies, professionalism/ethics, and critical thinking
- Didactics will address current healthcare topics such as:
- Behavioral Health and Substance Use
- Chronic Conditions (Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension, etc.)
- Community Health and Advocacy
- Cultural Competency
- End of Life Issues
- Social Determinants of Health
- Wellness and Disease Prevention (Obesity, Tobacco, Domestic Violence, etc.)
Read more in our recent press release.
Selected applicants will receive exposure to real-life clinical situations in MAHEC's Simulation Center.
The Simulation Center provides the opportunity for students to use interactive, life-like mannequins and task trainers in a structured, risk-free, learning environment.
Your certification as an AHEC Scholar will signify that you have additional knowledge, skills, and experiences that will give you an advantage in moving forward in your chosen health profession.
For questions and additional information, contact:
Jasmine Phillips, BS
More information about AHEC Scholars is available at:
To apply, click on the link below,