We invite you to apply to our program via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We will review your application and contact you if we wish to invite you for an interview. Typically our interview season runs from late-September through October.
Applicants must have satisfactorily completed a Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatric, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, or ER residency program, have DEA certification and be eligible to obtain a license to practice medicine in North Carolina through the N.C. Medical Board. Additionally, applicants will be required to submit:
- Full copy of applicant’s medical school degree
- Current licensure information,
- Three letters of recommendation; one should be from their residency program director
- A personal statement
- An onsite interview in Asheville
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
If you are interested in applying to our program, please submit your application online via MyERAS. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Michelle Pittman at (828) 771-3415 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Medical Graduates
All graduates of foreign medical schools must have completed an ACGME-accredited residency, must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and must meet all Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE) or Foreign Medical Graduate Exam in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS) requirements prior to application.
MAHEC will accept resident physicians who have been issued a J-1 Visa through the ECFMG and who hold a current ECFMG Certificate. H1-B visas are not sponsored at MAHEC.
Questions regarding the international/foreign medical graduates' process should be directed to the GME office at 828-257-4769 or GME@mahec.net.
Stipend and Benefits
- Professional liability insurance
- Health insurance for fellow (family coverage optional at additional cost)
- Term life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Licensure fee
- North Carolina Medical License fee
- DEA Registration fee
- One monogrammed fleece jacket
- One monogrammed lab coat
- MAHEC business cards
- Free parking
- Discounts at community businesses
- MAHEC Gym access (as COVID prevention allows)
- Fellow-only didactics each Friday with fellowship faculty
- On-site specialists for library resources, behavioral health, pharmacy, geriatrics, and care management
- Vacation/Leave: 15 days
- Sick Days: 9 days
- Holidays: 10 days
- Professional Education: The program pays for CME related expenses including books, subscriptions and costs for attending professional meetings.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAN)
*Stipend and benefits are subject to annual adjustments.
Each rotation is 4 weeks long, with the exception of the elective which is only 2 weeks. The rotations around the Christmas and New Year’s holiday weeks are 5 weeks each.
- Orientation/Primary Care
- Sports Ortho
- General Ortho
- Elective (2 weeks)
- Peds (ortho/neuro)
Each week the fellows will do:
- Continuity Clinic
- MAHEC Sports Medicine Clinic
- Every other Friday afternoon research time
- Working with Drs. Knapp, Judkins, Boykin or Shea in their clinics
- UNCA Training Room
- Warren Wilson Training Room (every other week)
- Emerge ortho
- MAHEC US clinic
- MAHEC Lifestyle Medicine Clinic
- Walk-in Clinic at Asheville Orthopedics
MAHEC Sports Medicine Fellowship
123 Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803
Jessica Knapp, DO, CAQSM