This ACGME-accredited fellowship is devoted to broad-based intensive clinical training primarily based in the Mission Health NeuroTrauma Intensive Care Unit (NTICU). The mission of the surgical critical care fellowship program is to provide an educational environment to develop the skills for state-of-the-art support of human physiology under the stress of extreme illness, injury or surgery; provide compassionate and humanistic care to those individuals with critical surgical illness; provide an environment for the development of a program optimized for clinical basic scientists who will become leaders in the arena of multidisciplinary critical care medicine.
• Mission Hospital is licensed for 815 beds with 47 operating rooms and a new critical care tower
• Mission Children’s Hospital includes 130 beds with 60 board-certified pediatric subspecialists providing care in 23 different specialties
• ED has 100,000 patient visits per year, the trauma center admits 3,400 patients per year, and the helicopter transports more than 1,000 patients per year
• Faculty includes 12 critical-care-certified acute care surgeons, 11 subspecialty surgeons, 2 pediatric surgeons and 5 vascular surgeons
• At more than 35,000 surgical procedures each year, Mission Hospital is one of the busiest surgical hospitals in the state of North Carolina
Surgical critical care fellows will work together with attending physicians, general surgery residents, advanced practice providers, medical students, and other members of the interdisciplinary clinical team. Education and research remains a high priority for all members of the service at all times. Opportunities for participation in clinical research activities and publications will be available throughout the year depending on the fellow's interests. Upon completing the surgical critical care fellowship program, the fellow will be fully qualified to obtain board certification and to enter either private or academic practice in surgical critical care.
1st year — $53,100
2nd year — $54,900
3rd year — $56,800
4th year — $58,878
5th year — $62,769
Fellow — $65,200