Application Process for 4th Year Elective Rotations
Our rotations are only available to students who are planning to apply to our residency programs.
Step 1: Apply for elective using the Visiting Student Application System (VSAS)
- Apply for elective using VSAS https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/vsas/
- The host institution for MAHEC is UNC Chapel Hill.
- VSAS will open in January 2018.
- The elective rotation numbers are below:
- Acute Care Surgery Acting Internship - SURY 439
- Critical Care Surgery - SURS 427
- Family Medicine Acting Intern - Asheville FMME 421
- Family Medicine Acting Intern - Hendersonville FMME 458
- Asheville FHC Outpatient Experience - FMME 430
- Combined Asheville & Hendersonville Outpatient Experience - FMME 457
- Elective in Obstetrics and Gynecology - OBGYN 440
- Complete application process as instructed and provide all required documents (Letter of Good Standing, Immunizations, CV, Transcript, Evaluation Form, USMLE/COMLEX Scores, Personal Statement, Photo)
- The Visiting Student Coordinator with UNC Chapel Hill will confirm receipt of application.
- Applications will be reviewed for consideration by program for acceptance. Space is limited.
- Once you have completed and submitted all required documents and you have been approved and cleared, you will receive an acceptance email by Chapel Hill and MAHEC.
Step 2: Completing Onboarding Process for MAHEC
An affiliate agreement with you school is required before you can start your rotation(s).
- 60 days prior to the start of your rotation, submit the following:
- MAHEC Application, Confidentiality Statement, Background Check Forms
- Letter of Good Standing from School to including verification of BBP and HIPAA training
- Current Flu Vaccination
- 9 Panel Drug Test to include: marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamines, benzodiazepines, PCP- phencyclidine, opiates, methadone, barbiturates, and propoxyphene
- Current PPD
- Current Certificate of Insurance (professional liability)
- School Student Evaluation Form
- Additional documents as required by Mission and Pardee Hospitals
Please note: Students who will be working in one of our hospitals, will be required to complete a separate onboarding process with Mission Hospital and Pardee Hospital. The onboarding process with these hospitals must be completed at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of your rotation.
Questions should be directed to Lisa Keiber at firstname.lastname@example.org.