Announcing a new treatment option for patients with depression
MAHEC is now offering NeuroStar® therapy, an FDA cleared transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy for patents with depression who have not benefited from prior antidepressant medication.
For many patients, depression symptoms significantly improve or go away after 4 to 6 weeks of treatment. Because it delivers focused magnetic pulses to the brain, the most common side effect associated with TMS is temporary pain or discomfort at or near the treatment site during treatment. When this occurs it is temporary and typically occurs only during the first week of treatment.
- Patients are awake and alert during treatment
- Patients can go back to their normal activities immediately after treatment
- Initial visit takes between 30 minutes and 1 hour
- Treatments take between 19 and 30 minutes
- Treatment is administered 5 days a week for approximately 4 to 6 weeks
TMS therapy is by prescription only so please talk to your provider to see if it's right for you. You can also read our FAQ document here to learn more.