Health Careers Summer Camp
Are you a rural high school student in WNC? Are you interested in a career in medicine?
On June 21–24, 2020, selected students from rural high schools in Yancey, Mitchell, McDowell, Madison, Graham, and Swain Counties will spend 4 days and 3 nights in Asheville, NC and participate in a variety of health-focused activities that include
- Hands-on workshops at UNC Asheville and MAHEC learning
- pig heart dissection
- point-of-care ultrasound
- medical simulation and more!
- Shadowing physicians at the MAHEC Family Health Center
- Touring MAHEC’s state-of-the-art simulation center
- Meeting healthcare professionals, residents, and students in
Our summer camp is free for students who are accepted and offers an unforgettable opportunity learn more about a variety of health careers and the pathways to pursue them.
Summer campers will also enjoy group activities like dining out and an evening at the local trampoline park. Meals, transportation, activity fees, and housing on the UNC Asheville campus are included.
- Rising high school juniors and seniors from the counties listed above
- Strong desire to pursue a career in healthcare
- Minimum weighted grade point average of 3.0
- Excellent references, based on teacher recommendations
- Active record of work and/or community service
Applications are due March 6!
To complete and submit your application online, click here.
Note: students who attended the 2019 Health Careers Summer Camp are not eligible to apply.