DescriptionThis lecture/lab is designed to fulfill the NC State Board of Dental Examiner’s educational requirement for dental hygienists and dental assistants to monitor N20/O2. Completion of this course will certify dental auxiliary staff to monitor patient receiving nitrous oxide sedation and will serve as a refresher for dentists.
Demonstration lab at the MAHEC Dental Health Center is included in the course day.
Dental Healthcare Providers
Upon completion of this lecture/discussion/demo lab, the participant will be able to:
- Recall the history and characteristics of Nitrous Oxide Sedation
- Discuss the pharmacology and respiratory physiology of Nitrous Oxide, including the uptake and distribution of gases
- Identify indications, contraindications and complications of inhalation analgesia
- Describe the characteristics of the Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen delivery system
- Distinguish the states of anesthesia and phases of State I Anesthesia
- Bob P. Hollowell, Jr., DDS, MS
Full Nitrous Oxide Sedation Monitoring
9/25 8:30 AM–5:00 PM
The Mountain Area Health Education Center designates this entire continuing education activity as meeting the criteria for 0.70 CEUs as established by the National Task Force on the Continuing Education Unit.
7.000 Contact Hours
MAHEC designates this continuing education activity as meeting the criteria for 7.00 Contact Hours.
7.000 ADA CERP
The North Carolina Health Education Centers (NC AHEC) are an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. The North Carolina Area Health Education Center designates this activity for up to 7.0 hours of continuing education credits.