DescriptionThis online, eight-week, self-paced certification examination review covers the content areas included within the School Nurse Certification Exam. Utilizing textbooks, manuals and other resources, the author of this program provides participants with the skills and strategies needed to pass the examination. This review features pre- and post-test study questions, as well as a final practice exam that simulates the actual School Nurse Certification Exam experience.
The review is divided up into lessons that cover an area of focus on the exam and provide a review of key concepts, test-taking tips and strategies, and valuable final exam test preparation. The platform is easy to access through a high-speed internet connection and can be taken one week at a time or condensed into multiple lessons per week to allow for additional review time. By reviewing questions that were missed, these examinations allow participants to identify individual strengths and weaknesses and to focus their personal study areas on topics where they received a low score.
Participants are given access to all eight modules on day one so that they can study at their own pace, on their own time and from their home or work computer. The participant will have eight weeks to complete ALL eight modules and the corresponding pre-tests, post-tests and final exam. No extensions will be granted to the end of the eight week program as MAHEC is offering multiple start dates to accommodate participants' schedules.
LESSON TOPICSAll eight lessons must be completed to receive credit.
Lesson 1 - Course Introduction and Special Health Issues
Lesson 2 - Professional Issues
Lesson 3 - Health Appraisal Part I
Lesson 4 - Health Appraisal Part II
Lesson 5 - Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Lesson 6 - Health Problems Part I
Lesson 7 - Health Problems Part II
Lesson 8 - Health Problems Part III, Nursing Managment and Practice Exam
Criteria for participation in this course review:
Participants must be registered nurses in one of the United States, with bachelor’s degree or higher in nursing or the equivalent in other countries. The participant should have at least 1,000 hours that have been worked within the three years prior to taking the test.
Criteria for registering for the National Board for Certification of School Nurses certification exam:
Eligible candidates must:
1. Submit a copy of their license as a registered nurse (RN) in one of the United States.
a. Submit an academic transcript or proof of current certification, demonstrating attainment of a bachelor’s degree or higher in nursing or the equivalent in other countries.
b. Current certification by NBCSN as a NCSN.
This course is not designed, reviewed, or endorsed by NBCSN.
EXAM WINDOWSYou may register for the certification exam on the National Board for Certification of School Nurses' website: nbcsn.org. The certification exam will be available during the following testing windows in 2021:
- Spring Testing Window: March 4-March 17, 2021 | Registration opens November 19, 2020 and closes February 4, 2021.
- Summer Testing Window: July 8-August 4, 2021| Registration opens March 18, 2021 and closes June 8, 2021.
- Fall Testing Window: November 4-November 11, 2021 | Registration opens August 5, 2021 and closes October 4, 2021.
Nurses with a bachelor's degree or higher that want to sit for the School Nurse Certification Examination
- Identify the certification exam content focus areas
- Evaluate areas of personal knowledge deficit related to certification exam content
- Create a plan for self-study based upon identified knowledge deficits related to certification exam content
- Locate related resources for further self-study
- Review and practice examples of test-taking strategies
- Identify areas of strengths and weaknesses
- Describe the design of the NCSN exam
- Conduct health appraisal, analyze data, determine intervention and evaluation
- Identify special health issues and determine interventions
- Describe the nursing process utilized in determining nursing interventions in acute, episodic, and chronic conditions
- Chrysta W. Burris, BSN, NCSN, RN
School Nurse Certification Examination Review (October 2 - November 26, 2021)
10/2 8:00 AM–11/26 5:00 PM
Oct 2 - Nov 26
The Mountain Area Health Education Center designates this entire continuing education activity as meeting the criteria for 1.5 CEUs as established by the National Task Force on the Continuing Education Unit.
15.000 Nursing Contact Hours
Oct 2 - Nov 26
15.00 Nursing Contact Hours Activity # AP 008-1844 Mountain Area Health Education Center (MAHEC) is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.