DescriptionThe purpose of this program is to improve the skills of individuals who provide or wish to provide interpreter services in any language in health or human services settings. Participants will learn the primary roles, ethics and techniques of professional interpreting. The importance of culture competence and confidentiality issues are stressed throughout the training.
Please note: The modules in this series are not interchangeable with those in the Cross-Cultural Communications, LLC (CCC) Interpreter Series offered in January and February 2019.
Other classes in the Summer Medical Interpreter Series:
Level 2: Ethics, Skills Improvement and Practical Study
May 31, 2019
Level 3: Spanish Medical Interpreter Training- Introduction to Anatomy/Physiology & Medical Terminology
June 13-14, 2019
Medical Interpreter Ethics & Standards of Practice; Sight Translation; Introduction to Simultaneous Interpretation - June 27, 2019
Overview of National Professional Medical Interpreter Certification Exams – June 28, 2019
Bilingual individuals who currently provide interpreter services or intend to provide interpreter services, in any language, in any health or human services settings.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the nine Principles and 32 Standards (Interpreters' National Code of Ethics) for professional interpretation established by the National Council for Interpreters in Health Care (NCIHC)
- Develop competencies and practice skills required for professional interpretation
- Identify professional interpreter resources to use for continued professional development
- Identify culturally competent interpreter practices
- Daniel Holcombe, BA, MA, PhD