DescriptionThis lecture/lab is designed to fulfill the NC State Board of Dental Examiner's educational requirement for dental hygienists and dental assistants to monitor N20/O2. Completion of this course will certify dental auxiliary staff to monitor patients receiving nitrous oxide sedation and will serve as a refresher for dentists. Demonstration lab at the MAHEC Dental Health Center is included in the course day.
Dentists, Dental Assistants & Dental Hygienists
- Recall the history and characteristics of Nitrous Oxide Sedation
- Discuss the pharmacology and respiratory physiology of Nitrous Oxide, including the uptake and distribution of gases
- Identify indications, contraindications and complications of inhalation analgesia
- Describe the characteristics of the Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen delivery system
- Distinguish the states of anesthesia and phases of State I Anesthesia