Child Care Health Consultants
MAHEC employs two Child Care Health Consultants (CCHCs). Chrissy Wolfe, BS, H.Ed., and Rita Phillips, BSN, RN, NCSN are certified CCHCs through the NC Child Care Health & Safety Resource Center and the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health. The CCHC began in 1999 in Buncombe County and is grant funded through Buncombe Partnership for Children.
CCHCs are healthcare professionals with specialized training and experience in child health issues. They provide expert guidance, health education and technical assistance through onsite consultations and trainings to child care providers on a wide range of health and safety topics. They assist child care programs to include children with special needs and chronic health conditions by offering technical assistance and by linking programs with local and state resources.
CCHCs work with individual child care facilities to help create environments that best support the healthy growth and development of young children by:
- Assessing the health and safety needs and practices in the child care facility
- Developing strategies for inclusion of children with special care needs
- Establishing and reviewing health policies and procedures
- Educating to prevent injuries and infectious diseases
- Connecting families with community health resources and referrals
- Providing health education for staff members, families and children
- Advocating for children and parents
View our Year in Review. We appreciate making positive changes together!
One-page handout for Child Care Centers and Family Child Care Homes in Buncombe County
One-page handout for other agencies
Need medical forms for childcare?
DCDEE has state wide forms located here. Scroll down to Medical Action Plans.
For more information, please contact:
Chrissy Wolfe, Child Care Health Consultant
Mountain Area Health Education Center
121 Hendersonville Rd, Asheville, NC