Care that Advocates Respect/Resilience/Recovery for All
Welcome to the MAHEC Project CARA Clinic! Our mission is to decrease barriers and the stigma that prevent pregnant women with substance use disorders (addiction) to getting quality obstetrical care as well as access to the substance use treatment that they deserve. We are part of the Maternal Fetal Medicine (high risk pregnancy) division and we are an integrated, comprehensive program that consists of the MAHEC OB team as well as vital partnerships, including Women’s Recovery Center, Mission Health System, and JFK Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Center. Our team of healthcare providers is dedicated to serving pregnant women in Western North Carolina who also have substance use disorders by providing specialty services in addition to routine obstetrical care:
- Office Based Opioid Treatment (OBOT) - We have trained providers to prescribe buprenorphine for pregnant women who suffer from opioid use disorder and desire/are appropriate for treatment
- Substance Use Support - Access to dedicated licensed clinical addiction specialists both through MAHEC OB/GYN Specialists and partnering community agencies to provide 1:1 counseling, group therapy, as well as referral assistance to access additional or higher level services
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) counseling and detailed delivery planning
- Tobacco Cessation Counseling
- Hepatitis C screening, counseling and referral
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Referral if indicated
Our multidisciplinary staff works with the individual and her support team to find a solution and help her reach her pregnancy and substance use goals.
For appointments call 828-771-5500 and ask for an appointment with Project CARA. Outside provider referrals, please fax referral to 828-771-5479.
We look forward to serving you!
Carol Coulson, MD, FACOG, MFM Division Director
Athena Collins, MA
Michelle Bartlet, MA
Marie Gannon, LCAS, LPC
Ann Mann, RN
Nathan Mullins, MD, FACOG
Ra’Sheena Parker, WHNP-BC
Melinda Ramage, FNP-BC